‘Building Memories’ Art Book
“A sense of common history is what provides links to hold together a people who came from the four corners of the earth. Because our history is short, and because what is worth preserving from the past is not all that plentiful, we should try to save what is worthwhile from the past from the vandalism of the speculator and the developer, from a government and a bureaucracy which believes that anything that cannot be translated into cold cash is not worth investing in.”
S. Rajaratnam, from “Adaptive Reuse of History,” Kwa Chong Guan, ed. S. Rajaratnam on Singapore.
Singapore: World Scientific, 2006.
Singapore Memory Project
Building Memories is an interactive art book documenting the intrinsic histories, as well as personal and collective memories of four public buildings which have helped shape the nation. These were the National Library (1960), the National Theatre (1963), the Singapore Conference Hall and Trade Union House (1965) and the National Stadium (1973). This project was supported by the Singapore Memory Project’s irememberSG Fund as part of the Singapore50 (SG50) celebrations.
The idea leading to this meaningful publication was mooted and brought to fruition by three like-minded friends – an architect, an illustrator and a designer – who shared the same appreciation for these buildings. Given the scarcity of cohesive and up-to-date accounts of these buildings, it is hoped that the key themes connecting architecture, people and the period of nationhood can be better appreciated while sharing and reminiscing those halcyon days with our future generations.
Over four dedicated chapters, the art book offers an informative and immersive reading experience through the inclusion of interactive elements such as old photographs, comic illustrations, interesting graphic components, a miniature 3-D paper pop-up building and even an old library borrowing slip complete with pocket. This tactile approach was taken to evoke nostalgia in senior readers as well as provide younger generations with a deeper insight to life of the yesteryears.
National Theatre Pop-Up Kit Tutorial
This pop-up kit is designed as a tribute to relive the memories of National Theatre. It is part of Singapore Design Week 2017 and Archifest 2017.
Singapore Book Awards 2017 | 20 April 2017 | Pan Pacific Singapore
The Singapore Art Book Awards 2017 panel of judges unanimously awarded “Building Memories” the Book of the Year after much deliberation. “This is a unique book that has captured Singapore’s past in the present and serves as a cautionary tale for her future. A time capsule in a book format, it is well-written, outstandingly beautiful in its production and ingenious in its assembly and presentation,” said the panel.
Interview on Radio 938LIVE:”Culture Cafe” by Michelle Martin
Pre-launch & Talk | 26 April 2015 | The Pod@National Library
A pre-launch talk was held on 26 April 2015 at The Pod@National Library to take the audience down memory lane, share on the rationale and objectives as well as the journey of the publication. They were also treated to a sneak preview and highlights of the book.
The Building Memories Art Book is now available at:
• 1 Irving Place, #05-02, The Commerze@Irving, Singapore 369546. Tel: 6292 0492
(Opens Mon-Fri, 9am-6pm except Public Holidays)
• 4008 Ang Mo Kio Avenue 10 Techplace 1 #03-04, Singapore 569625. Tel: 6392 8455
Basheer Graphic Books
• Bras Basah Complex, 231 Bain St, Singapore 180231. Tel: 6336 1917
• 9 Yong Siak Street Singapore 168645. Tel: 6222 9195
Gallery & Co
• National Gallery, 1 St. Andrew’s Road, #01–05 Singapore 178957. Tel: 6385 6683
• Takashimaya Shopping Centre, 391 Orchard Road, #04-20/20B/20C Ngee Ann City, Singapore 238872. Tel: 6737 5021
• Bugis Junction, 200 Victoria Street, #03-09 Singapore 188021. Tel: 6339 1790
• Jem (Jurong East), 50 Jurong Gateway Road, #04-23 Singapore 608549. Tel: 6430 0868
• 155 Middle Road, Singapore 188977. Tel: 6336 2957
The Farm Store
• National Design Centre, 111 Middle Rd, #01-01, Singapore 188969. Tel: 6336 0609
Woods in the Book
• Tiong Bahru, No.3 Yong Siak Street, Singapore 168642. Tel: 6222 9980
城市書房 City Book Room
• North Bridge Centre, 420 North Bridge Road, #03-10 Singapore 188727. Tel: 6901 1583 email@example.com
草根书室 Grassroots Book Room
• 25 Bukit Pasoh Road, Singapore 089839. Tel: 6337 9208 firstname.lastname@example.org
Building Memories has won the A’Design Award 2017 Bronze Winner, Singapore Book Awards 2017: Book of the Year 2017, Winner for Best Illustrated Non-Fiction Title 2017 & Finalist for Best Book Cover Design 2017, HOW: International Design Awards Winner 2017, American Graphic Design Award 2016, GOV: The Design 100 Gold Winner 2016, HKG: The Design 100 Gold Winner 2016, NYC: The Design 100 Gold Winner 2016 & LON: The Design 100 Silver Winner 2016